Help Support the OSU Rifle Team!
By David Johnson
Academia is not generally considered to be friendly to firearms and the Second Amendment. This is why it is particularly important that we strongly support any legal and safe firearms-related activities on the campuses of our colleges and universities.
A good opportunity for doing just that is coming up soon. Many people are unaware that collegiate shooting is alive and well in the U.S. Ohio is privileged in having two NCAA Rifle teams, at the University of Akron and at The Ohio State University. The coach of Akron's team, Newt Engle, was recently named chair of the NCAA Men's and Women's Rifle Committee.
Unfortunately, you can't support Rifle Teams by buying season tickets or cheering them on at the matches, but you will soon have an opportunity to show your support for the OSU Rifle Team, meet the 2009-2010 team members, and hear an Olympic Gold Medalist speak. This event is on Sunday, October 4th. The following are the planned events:
- Historical account of OSU Rifle from 1924 to present
- Introduction of the 2009 – 2010 Varsity Rifle team members
- Lunch: 11:30 am
- Recognition of Elizabeth and Denver Hague
- Featured Speaker: Gary Anderson, Director of the Civilian Marksmanship Program at Camp Perry Ohio. Mr. Anderson is a two time Olympic Gold medalist and has served in several directorships and on several national and international shooting sports committees and is considered an expert on the subject of electronic targets.
- Alumni/Booster/Team Match
The cost is only $20/person, and the event will be held at the Fawcett Center on OSU's main campus. The deadline for responding is September 30th. You can get more information here, and the RSVP form is available here. Coach Pat Cherry would like to see a full house to demonstrate support for his excellent program. I've had the privilege of attending a rifle match between Akron and OSU, and I can state that it would difficult to come up with a finer group of young men and women than those on these rifle teams. Please consider attending this event and please tell others about it.
David Johnson is the President of the Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association.
- 1285 reads