News Release Submission Guidelines
Buckeye Firearms Association receives many requests to announce events, fundraisers, gun store and range openings, etc. While we are happy to support the firearm community and our political friends, we do not have the staff to write your news releases for you. If you take the time to prepare a well-written story to make it easy for us, you stand a far better chance of seeing it on our site and in our newsletter.
What is a news release?
A well-written news release is a concise, complete description of an upcoming or recently completed event, noteworthy information about a firearm or political organization, or other news of interest to Ohio gun owners.
How should you write your news release?
- Keep your news release short, one or two pages maximum.
- Include a clear, brief, and descriptive headline.
- Write clearly, including who, what, where, why and when in the first two paragraphs.
- Identify the business, organization, or individual sending the release.
- Include a contact name, daytime phone number, and email address.
- Date your release and tell us whether the material is for immediate use or for release at a later date.
- Type "end" or "###" at the end of the release text.
Where do you submit your news release?
Go to our Contact page. Paste the text of your news release in the "Message" box. Select "News" for the Category. Provide a clear description in the "Subject" box. If you wish to submit a Word file and/or photos (in a jpeg format), email [email protected].
- Sending incomplete information and expecting us to do research or write your news release for you.
- Using bad grammar and poor spelling. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, but you need to proof and edit before you send it.
- Forgetting to provide a contact name, phone number, and email address in case we have questions.
- Sending releases that are TOO LONG. Edit. Cut. Keep it brief.
- Sending a release at the last minute. You should send announcements at least 2-3 weeks before the event.