Constitutional Carry Bill Moves Rapidly, Emergency Power Bill Passes Committee
On Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2022, the Ohio House Government Oversight Committee held hearings for three BFA-Supported bills.
SB 215 on Constitutional Carry received its first hearing in the House with bill sponsor Sen. Terry Johnson presenting testimony.
This bill is moving rapidly. In December, the bill passed the Senate and was introduced into the House. In January, it was assigned to committee. The bill is already scheduled for its second hearing with proponent testimony tomorrow, Feb. 9, and BFA will once again testify in favor of the legislation.
This bill seeks to make licensing optional for concealed carry in Ohio. It also fixes the confusing problem of "promptly notifying" law enforcement by specifying how and when you must notify. Basically, if officers wants to know whether you're carrying a firearm, they just ask.
HB 325, sponsored by Rep. Scott Wiggam, to Limit Government Power during emergencies received a fourth hearing and was voted out of committee 8-4. The bill now moves to the House floor for a vote then on to the Senate.
Crafted by BFA, along with our partners NRA and NSSF, this is America's most comprehensive legislation to preserve Second Amendment and sportsman rights during declared emergencies.
The committee also held its second hearing on HB 455, sponsored by Rep. Reggie Stoltzfus, to help people avoid charges for accidentally carrying in a prohibited location. BFA supports this bill and submited proponent testimony.
The first two bills, Constitutional Carry and Emergency Power, remain our #1 and #2 priorities this legislative session. We have been working on an almost daily basis with sponsors, legislators, and Statehouse leadership since early last year, and even before that as we laid the groundwork for the introduction of this legislation.
We are pleased to see these bills move and look forward to putting them on the Governor's desk for his signature. If passed, these two bills will represent what may be the most significant leap forward in Second Amendment rights Ohio has ever seen.
More on SB 215:
- Buckeye Firearms Association Testifies in Favor of Constitutional Carry
- Ohio Senator Terry Johnson Presents Powerful Testimony on Constitutional Carry
- Senator Terry Johnson Takes us Inside the Fight for Constitutional Carry
More on HB 325:
- Buckeye Firearms Association Testifies in Favor of Bill to Limit Government Power During Emergencies
- Emergency Powers Legislation: Preventing Infringements of 2A Rights During Emergencies
- SPECIAL EDITION: News Conference Introducing Emergency Powers Legislation
- Emergency Powers Testimony and Victims of Katrina Gun Confiscation
- 5822 reads