Report: Obama to bypass representative government, dictate new gun control policies via executive order
by Chad D. Baus
Having failed in their apparent goal of creating demand for gun control legislation by allowing thousands of guns to "walk" into Mexico, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney announced on Thursday, July 7, that the Obama administration is set to impose a series of gun control "reforms" via executive order.
From The Huffington Post:
The reforms, which are being crafted by the Department of Justice, come after a series of meetings with relevant stakeholders in the Second Amendment debate. But in a nod to the difficulties of getting legislation through a Republican-run House of Representatives, only executive orders or administrative actions -- and not an actual bill -- are expected to be handed to Congress.
Administration officials were coy on the specifics, from the reforms the Department of Justice would recommend or when it would actually make those recommendations.
"The president directed the Attorney General to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights," Carney said at Thursday's briefing. "That process is well underway at the Department of Justice with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues and we expect to have more specific announcements in the near future."
Just how near? Carney would only say "not far in the future." Another administration official said weeks would be an appropriate measurement.
According to Fox News, what still remains unclear is just how far out on a limb the president is willing to go on gun control. "If he goes too far," the report says, "the Second Amendment debate could reach great heights as the president battles for his re-election. If he doesn't go far enough, some in his base may view him as weak on gun laws."
The Huffington Post cheerily notes that "when the recommendations do come, it will represent the most comprehensive move on the gun control front from this administration to date," and concludes by observing that "executive actions offer something that legislation doesn't: guaranteed results."
Chad D. Baus is the Buckeye Firearms Association Vice Chairman.
While he has not yet addressed the issue via legislation, as gun control extremists hoped he would when he was elected, Obama has conducted himself as an anti-gun president, just as gun rights activists predicted he would:
- Day 1: President Obama officially declares war on your guns!
- In his own words: Tape of Obama calling for concealed carry ban uncovered
- "Yes We Can . . . Ban Guns" - Obama Announces Gun Ban Agenda
- President-elect Obama's Employment Application Form Demands to Know if Applicants Are "Registered" Gun Owners
- Obama continues to build anti-gun rights team: Nominates Eric Holder as AG
- Barack Obama's Chief of Staff is Sarah Brady's "go-to guy" - a "good friend" of gun control
- Brady Gun-Ban Strategy Outlined
- Obama's "Drug Czar" pick offers more proof of anti-gun agenda
- Obama's anti-gun Attorney General makes it official: Gun bans are coming
- Obama's National Park Service declares ban on use of lead ammo and sinkers in national parks!
- Obama secretly ends program that let pilots carry guns
- Department of Defense makes, then reverses decision to destroy all once-fired military brass
- President Obama's Secretary of Education rounds out anti-gun cabinet
- Pelosi: 'We want registration'; Holder: 2A won't 'stand in the way'
- And They Call Us Paranoid: Obama administration labels millions upon millions of Americans as 'rightwing extremists'
- Obama's gun control plans center on South American treaty as an end-run around the Constitution
- Obama continues trend of appointing rabid gun-haters to important administration positions
- Buckeye Firearms Association joins groups opposing Sotomayor confirmation
- Sportsman Groups Push for Sunstein Defeat
- Editorial: The feds take a shot at guns
- Will Health Care Reform Regulate Guns?
- Obama administration push for gun ban continues
- TSA forces Federal Officers to carry locked guns?
- Feds funding Ohio study that could lead to regulating shooting ranges in attempt to decrease suicide rates
- Obama backs international gun control treaty
- Obama administration's ATF Reverses Interpretation of Gun Control Act; Redefines "Transfers" of Firearms
- NRA Opposed To Kagan Nomination To U.S. Supreme Court
- Obama admin. blocks import of historical M1 rifles from South Korea; Highly collectible firearms possibly slated for destruction
- Obama reveals anti-gun U.N. intent: Sends ex-Seattle mayor as Rep
- NRA strongly opposes the nomination of Andrew Traver to head BATFE, Calls on President Obama to withdraw nomination
- ATF Overreaches Again – Threatens Rights
- Obama officially, publicly calls for new gun control
- Obama Admits Stealth Attack on Rights, Media Yawns